Thursday, November 10, 2011

A little more magic

Here, as promised, part two of the amazing house I discovered and would love to share with you!




I returned next morning, this time bringing my husband along. I had to share my enthusiasm with him, thankfully he is game... After a scrumptious breakfast at the Gryphon Teahouse we were ready!


Swiftly moving through the lower floor I headed upstairs. 
By now I felt like almost at home between all the wonderful and priceless pieces and would have gladly given a grand tour.
But my husband settled on the second porch, taking in all the sunshine he could get! Sometimes I would get a call from him, inquiring of my whereabouts...I wonder, how could he simply ignore all the enticing treasures to be discovered???






There is the main floor, remember? Just a quick reminder:




Alone the hall is so impressive, come look!




Slowly climbing upstairs I saw this:






And that! Here is more destruction then downstairs.




Rooms after rooms, filled with incredible objects!










I felt like the old explorer, coming upon a treasure...




The ballroom!




Reaching the third floor, you'll find a clear distinction from the rooms below. The ceilings are low, no more stucco, simple wall treatments, it must have been the servants quarters back in the days when this house was lived in. Perhaps a nursery. But the charm is undeniable.
Obviously people lived up here longer then downstairs, since there were traces of 50's style walls and floor. I found an old kitchen...




I couldn't help being enticed by all the mirrors...What's a girl to do??? Self portrait with IPhone! It's the 21st Century after all.









Oh, I would have gladly taken many things home with me...but, alas, I had to leave them behind. One day, perhaps!
Remember the bride picture I found in this place?
Here she is now! I couldn't part with her! If I only would find out who she was... Isn't there a strange resemblance to the portrait above? I couldn't help notice.


This is a rather bad close up, but I absolutely adore her outfit. Look at her hat, her dress with all the beautiful lace,
her pose and the dainty elegant shoes! Quietly, almost a little sad, she gazes into the camera, perhaps into her future life. 1919!
I wonder about her life...


She will be cherished for as long as I shall live!

The house is a treasure box and I will not reveal the exact location! Historic Savannah is not large and with a little 
detective work and open eyes you will find it, if you truly look for it. I love the idea of a kept secret. Just look for a large old house, near one of the loveliest squares, with wonderful porches, filled with antiques...
Maybe some day one of you will wander into it and think back of this post!
Well, if somebody will ask me, I might tell....

Hint: It houses an antique store and was build 1860 and completed 1869. And another famous Savannah house sits practically next door...
Well, if there is one thing I would love to do: Bring this beauty back to life! If only....



All pictures by V.Zlotkowski. Copyright 2011

7 comments:

  1. Hello Victoria:
    We have absolutely loved this post which we read, no devoured, as soon as it appeared but then were unable for some reason to post a comment. So, instead, we took the liberty of sending you an email which should, in the light of modern technology, be in your box!! Happily, all seems well now.

    Thank you for your second comment on our 'A Road to Ruin' to which we have made reply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Victoria

    This post with accompanying music has me transported to a place of bliss. I think I shall just stay here all day.

    The house is absolutely stunning and welcoming. It is like many houses I have visited and lived in. It has a familiarity about it and the patina and that one cracked wall with the paintwork.
    Your image of the bride is very moving. She is a true beauty with style and elegance. She also has a strength. The portrait is beautifully executed.
    Thank you for such entertainment.
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Victoria [again]:
    The on going saga of the disappearing email which has now been resent, as the first, to victoriaart@aol.com

    The first went at 2.15pm [GMT] and the second about 5.10pm [GMT].

    Thank you so much for the further comment [reply made] and we are frustrated that the email has not arrived for this is a most stunning house [as Helen says] and post too and we did wish you to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen, Jane, Lance:
    You are most kind! The house offered itself just like that and all I had to do is take the invitation...
    Which I gleefully did!
    Mail arrived and I send one back to you Jane and Lance! I guess we are faster then the mail...; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I am kind of back! Trying! What a cool find! I loooove old houses and shopping in one even better! I romanticize that time and love old photos and wonder about that time in someone's life captured in a moment.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Victoria....What an amazing place...and what a house to have a shoot....I would have loved to be there with you....Happy weekend....xv

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures. There is art everywhere. I am amazed that how beautifully you have captured the pictures and dug out the art.
    waterproof mattress protector

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails