Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Touch of gold





Gold colored metals have made a comeback over the last years and truth be told, I always had a weakness for a little bit of shiny gold in design. Our front door sports gleaming brass fixtures and I think it looks great with the classic colonial style of our house. I think of a ship sometimes, the house has a navy feel with the blue and white...but that was actually unintended!


This was a year ago, now the mail box hangs and the grass has grown into the area next to the walkway.

Many years ago my husband brought a lovely antique clock back from a visit to Amsterdam and it has graced our mantle ever since. It has of course invited the use of more gold tone metals, bronze, brass and gold plated...It glistens at night and always makes me feel festive.


The walls are painted in a desert sand by BM and glow warm at night.

 Usually my use of these metals is sparingly, I am not the magpie type and I hardly use gold tone jewelry, but a few days ago I bought a gold colored Asian garden stool and I am happy to report it adds a lovely portion of glamour to our music salon. 


Via Joss & Main, a great shopping experience, btw.


Are you in favor of golden accessories? I do stop at gold tone bathroom fixtures, those still have a dated feel to me.
But I also mix metals, dark, silver toned and golden.
And I do not mind oxidized metals either...I rather dislike to much polishing! A little patina adds to the charm of things, don't you agree?









All images by V.Zlotkowski

8 comments:

  1. Hello Victoria:
    Everything about this post speaks of your very assured style and your new stool fits in so very well to the overall scheme of your music salon, the wall colour of which we think is wonderful.

    Like you, we should never consider gold taps for a bathroom - far too ostentatious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane and Lance, It fits right in...I am planing on painting the room and pour over choices, choices.....

      Delete
  2. Victoria,
    I do love how gold can add a certain sparkle to a space or a wrist or ear!
    Brass seems to be so big now and I love it too.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. patricia, you are right: A little sparkle goes a long way....

      Delete
  3. Love your gold accents....and the front of your house....beautiful! Our house has lots of brass lighting and door knobs etc.... at first I hated it but there is too much to change so I'm embracing it instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liebe Frau, Thank you! I like your attitude, embrace what you've got! And the world becomes a happy place!

      Delete
  4. I agree with you that gold/brass tones may be on their way back. Approaching this tentatively, as you have, seems to be the way to go. Not too much...not too little. Just right. I love your antique clock and pretty garden stool. Your home is lovely in every way.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tricia, like with anything else in life I love to go by the old gold standard: Everything in moderation!
      The only exception is love!
      Have a happy weekend!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails